Wednesday, September 7, 2011

2011 Gateway Cup




Gateway Cup, St. Louis, MO is a great race series. Raced it last year as a cat3. I was a bit on the fence about it after I had decided to make an upgrade to a cat2 after Superweek. I had originally planned to race this series as a cat3 and use it as a "Peak A" race. I had to make a decision after Superweek to either upgrade or loose the points I had worked hard for. It was a tough decision to make because being a cat3 and racing NRC races is much better. Racing NRC races as a cat2 is just a lot tougher all around.

Pro Women Cat 1/2 Race Series

Tour De Layfette Criterium:
27th Place

Race started at 8:15 p.m. Race is 45 mins plus 5 laps. Festive atmosphere. The crowd and town really get into it. I was pretty nervous. In fact, I was trying not to be intimidated, but it was pretty hard when you line up and see 8 Colavita women all at the front line. Laura Van Gilder, Carrie Cash, Lauren Hall. Pretty simple course. Four corners, open and wide. It was pretty much fast the entire time. I loved the pace. Being so nervous, I had a hard time staying focus on cornering and closing gaps. " After about 30mins, I started to loosen up and close in. I saw Kristen and decided to try and stay near her as much as possible. She is so awesome to learn from. I was riding pretty strong and felt like I wanted to keep racing longer. Last lap, my goal was to just sprint with the field. I wasn't in a very good position at the end but I was able to keep in the field and sprint. All in all, I was pleased with my efforts and learned that "positioning is EVERYTHING"




Tour Des Hills Criterium: 23 rd Place

This course was pretty much the same as Friday night, except it had a slight incline from the start finish line. Open, wide course. Race started around 4:30 p.m. As I started to warm up the clouds rolled in. Rain came. It down poured for a while. The course was messy. Lots of branches and leaves which made it a bit slick. Race started a bit slower. I felt that everyone was taking the corners pretty low key. This race was a bit strange. I couldn't stay on anyone wheel for to long. It seemed like the field was all over for a bit. Again, I saw Kristen and just geared myself as near to her as I could. I did finally make a few moves to the front of the field. I even made it up to the front and took a pull. I really couldn't believe how strong and good I was feeling and riding. Last Lap, this time I looked around and saw Kristen. I stayed near her then she got out of her saddle and took off toward the outside of corner #2 and the bike slid from underneath her. Luckily I was far enough away from her so not to crash into her. I hesitated and then took off and sprinted as best I could with the field. I really think I would've placed top 10 in this one. I was in good position and felt great going in the last lap. Anyways, I was pretty concerned for Kristen. I made my way back to the corner where she crashed and made sure she was ok. Later on I saw her in the golf cart eating some ice and gave her the big hug and kiss on fore head...... thank God she was ok!......she is a trooper!








Giro De Montagna Criterium-- 20th Place.

Now this is one of my favorite races. Its in a great neighbor that really goes all out for the race. Its so much fun and the hill is my favorite part! Still feeling good and ready to race, I was just a bit nervous about corner #4. Its pretty much a downhill finish and corner 4 just looked a bit ticky this yr. I tryed to pick out a point to focus on for the corner. I knew I had to try and get my butt to the front of field and stay there in this race. I think I mentally just wasn't confident in myself for being up there with the pro women. I had only stayed in the front for short bits at a time. Lots of attacks went out but nothing stuck. I got to front of the field a few times and felt great but realized that staying mid field might be a better position because it was a short climb and getting a good wheel going downhill was key. Last lap, I was near Kristen again, I should've got into position towards the 2nd lap. Alot sooner than most!! Lesson learned. Last lap, I had stayed a bit more outside passed lots of riders on the climb. I got out of saddle half way up and to my surprized passed even more riders. Soon as I got to the top I clicked into my bigger gear and just kept peddeling as hard as I could downhill. I had a pretty good position. Sprinted and I took a good solid 20th place. I was more than happy...... being my 1st Pro 1/2 races .... this was a bonus!!!



Two things I learned....

" Positioning is Everything" and "Always believe in Yourself, don't be intimidated." The mind is a powerful motivator. "


Thanks to Craig Cooper, for letting me stay at your house. It was a super fun weekend and awesome watching you race. Also, Thanks to everyone for those awesome cheers. Great job to Leah and Cady for making the podium in the 3/4 races.


Ok so...... like its END OF ROAD SEASON>>>> ... What a great way to end my season.. Looking forward to PWP ... PWP ..... this winter...

No comments:

Post a Comment