Sunday, July 17, 2011

2011 Superweek.


Superweek 2011

So my 1st thought was "what is my goal for Superweek"? Overall or wins? Since I had won overall last year W3/4, I thought it would be better to focus on the win or podium on the W3/4 races. I wanted to do that
by giving myself a break from driving and traveling everyday. Since my goal fro the seaon is to avoid burnout before gateway cup, it worked out that I went into Superweek pretty well rested. After Tour of Galena, I was training pretty hard and needed to change my workouts. Racing smaller races and fast rides with my team mates helped me to train for criteriums. I knew I had the endurance and an awesome base in but needed to fine tune my skills.

For me personally, this year, I'm learning that I don't have to race every weekend. It takes a lot to go out there and race a race. It's not just about "racing your bike in the race" a coach told me, "Its the mental preparation, getting your bike ready, driving there and back, its weeks of mental preparation and training, etc.. etc.. all this is part of the whole total process of racing, not just the race." With this in mind, it was important for me to back off on doubling up racing W3/4 and W123 and only race 1 race a day and really keep my focus on performing well.

Lastly, I want to share this. My "Aunt Mary Gialdini
" who lives in Indiana She is a beautiful women with a lovely and warm smiles that can brighten anyone's day She was diaginoised with cancer this year and my prayers and thoughts are with her everyday. So I decided that I would race in her honor for Superweek. More to come on this later.

Recap of the Races:

Geneva Grand Prix Criterium: Women's 3/4 ---- 3Place



Started with a nice warmup in the trainer with Cooper. I had pre-rode the course with one my of team mates Patrick. As we rode the course everything he told me made sense and clicked in.
Race started and I went out fairly quickly and found myself with a break of 7 of us or so. I took some pulls and just kept my line. Last lap, I got into pposition soon after the bell rang, I stayed with the top sprinters and tried to sprint for the finish. It was the same old story but I pulled off a 3rd place finish and learned some tricks!












Homewood Criterium: 3rd Place


Race started off fairly quickly and before I knew it I was in a break with about 6 or so of us. Liz, Megan and I worked to get that down to only 3 of us. Somewhere around 6 laps to go, Megan and I dropped Liz. This race was pretty strange though. I felt super strong and wanted to TT it all the way. I worked with Megan and I thought she was slowing a bit. I wasn't really sure why but I decided to keep her pace when really I just wanted to go faster so the others would not get us. Eventually, I was right, Liz caught us and I learned another lesson. So, it came down to a field sprint between us 3 with the field that we had lapped, I think. That was another confusing issue. All I have to say is that I was glad this race was over. Below is a short video of the Homewood Finish and the podium.





Richton Park Criterium: 1st Place
Out of all the pics this is only race I don't have any pics or videos of. One of reason is because of the very bad storm we had just before this race. Tornado like winds and hail and high winds came ripping through Illinois knocking down trees and power lines. Luckily we where able to start our race right after the storm. Small field of only 11 of us. Right from the gun, race started fast. I felt pretty good and hit it hard from the start. I wanted to keep the pace high. It was the same routine, Liz, Megan and I in a break. Last lap, I knew what I had to do and it worked out pretty good. My sprint came along and I clicked in a gear harder just before the line.

Willow Springs Road Race: 3rd Place

Feeling pretty pumped from yesterdays win, I was ready to go. I warmed up and then when I got to the start line, I heard medical vehicles and then racers getting off the course. A bad crash had happened and they had postpone our race til later. It was about an hr behind. So the officials decided to shorten our RR to 15 mins. 3 laps instead of 5 laps. I was super bummed out about that because I prefer the longer RR in order to wear out those sprinters. Race started, small field of only 11 of us. Because of all the waiting around, my legs felt pretty sluggest and my mental game was not on like it was. Megan, hit it hard after we got up the climb and race was on. I looked at Megan getting away and thought, no I'll see if the others chase her down. I knew they wanted me to chase and I didn't. I was also surprise that Liz didn't either. What where we thinking? Uggg!! We let her go. Bad move. Tamara tried to put me in my place but I just wanted to sit in a little bit until I finally gave in and did some work. I forced my legs to work and soon they did loosen up a bit for the lap. I was up front on the last lap. Liz attacked on the climb and I got out of saddle too and attacked harder trying to chase her down. I wasn't too far behind her and again the sprint to the line Liz and I.

Cudhay, WI Criterium - 2nd Place

This was a course I had not done and I was looking forward to it. I was still feeling good after taking Wed off. Again, I don't have any pics and videos. About 12 of us I think in the field. There where some new riders I hadn't seen and it was good to see new riders come out. Race started kind of slow. Since Liz wasn't there and it was only Megan that I knew I could work with I thought of just seeing what happens the 1st few laps. Of course pace was slow. I was out front first part of the race. Megan had some good attacks I tried to get in a break with her but I just had a hard time doing that. I think I was in a poor position to do that when she did go. Anyways it came down to a another sprint finish. I was about 3 or 4th rider and I hit it just after the 2nd to last corner. One rider had my wheel and I clicked into another gear and hit it again. Then towards the line she came around and got me by not even half a wheel..


Brookfield, WI Criterium - 3rd Place

This course is a strange one but they did change it a bit and made it more open. You almost feel like your going through a parking lot. It's a bit more technical but has a slight incline after the start finish. I forgot all about that and should've planned to attack on the incline to get in a break. Race was very small only 9 riders. Race started and everyone pretty much stayed together. I did some pulling up front and noticed that this 12 yr old was on my wheel the entire time. She would not let go of my wheel to save her life. I also noticed that Megan wasn't up front in the field. She was just hanging out back there. I was wondering what she was up to. Most likely should've joined her because before I knew it she through out an attack. I ended up chasing her and 2 other riders went with me. I was just 6 sec away from her and the other 2 riders where blown and couldn't help me chase her. I decided to let them try because I needed some help but they just weren't strong enough. So I got out in front and tried again to bridge up to Megan. I was only 8 - 9 sec away and Patrick my team mate was yelling out at me to go. It helped a bit but I just blew up and couldn't hold the effort. I then immediate got into TT mode hoping to maybe get Megan again. I made a third attempt to pick up the tempo. Again, we where to far from Megan but she held her pace strong and soon enough it was just us 3. Last lap, I should've planned out better what I needed to do. It ended up me in the front around the last corner. I hit it hard on the inside part of the lane and the 12 yr old again had my wheel. I tried to shake her off then I hit it hard into a sprint to the line It was very very close.

Evanston Grand Prix Criterium - 2nd Place

BoldSo this is a race that I think is for those that really know how to corner well. It is a technical course and has one corner that is a bit tricky. It is also a long sprint to the finish. Again, I just wanted to start fast and get into a good break and keep it that way for the entire race. I didn't want to deal with any other riders but maybe 3 or 2 in a break. Sure enough that is what happen. I went to the back of the field with Megan and Liz to see what was going on. Then Liz took off on the straight away and I went after her then Megan went behind me. After a bit we had dropped 1 or 2 riders that tired to stay with us but couldn't. Last lap, Megan had just gotten off the front and sure enough Liz went early. It took me by a bit of surprise but it was a good move. She went just before the 2nd to last corner. I took off after her and remembered that it was long way to the finish so I took the last corner and saw Liz going on the outside. I stayed in the middle. I hit a bit of a bump which through my sprinting off a bit. I got out of saddle and did the best I could to sprint. Lessoned learned. Overall, I was not at all disappointed with my performance. I was pretty happy we all got together in a break. It made it fun and very exciting.


So, Superweek had ended for me after Evanston. I promised myself this year to do things differently and really stick to my goals and balancing my family life and racing. I really believe for me that if everything is balanced and things are good at home that I will race better and it has proven to do so this year. It is so much fun racing and seeing others race too. Also, I thank my family, friends and teammates for supporting me. Without your help this would not be possible.

Thank you Steve for the great pics and photos and being my bike boy.


Next upcoming races: Winfield, then Gateway Cup. ----- end of season.



No comments:

Post a Comment