Monday, June 13, 2011

2011 Tour Of Galena

Galena is like this little gem, hidden and tucked away. Once I discovered it, it was on top of my lists as one of my favorite places to train and visit. I had used Galena as my training ground for New Mexico, Gila stage race in April. After hearing that a stage race was going forward and pretty much a done deal, I was super excited. However, I knew that I mostly likely wouldn't have fresh legs going into this stage race but I wanted to use it as training for my upcoming stage racing in July.

Women's 1,2,3 Omnium.

Saturday: 4.4 mile Time Trial (rolling hills and 1 big climb) (10th Place)

I went off at 10:30 a.m. I knew that the shorter the TT the more warm up one should have. Instead of using my trainer, I got on the road and warmed up for 45mins, which was a mistake I think. Got to the start. A bit nervous. I didn't feel 100% mentally ready. Not having pre-rode the course and not knowing the downhill portion concerned me on how to take those sections. Since it was short TT, it was all out. When it came to the big descent, it was very narrow. If it wasn't for the orange cones I think I would've been ok and not have slowed as much but I was told that everyone pretty much was on the breaks into the descent. The climb was 14% and a real leg cruncher. I placed 10th. Not my best performance.

Saturday: 67 mile Road Race (8th Place)

I was pretty pumped for the road race. I knew the course and the climbs pretty well. The only thing that really got to me is that we had to do "laps". I guess its better than having to race a shorter road race. Race was 67 miles, which was awesome! We went off at 4:00 p.m. It was a neutral start up over the first big climb then race started. Pace was slow to moderate the 1st lap. I took no pulls.. Hung in the back There where only 14 women in the field. It was by far a lot different from the road racing in New Mexico where I had 35 women in the field. The ABD team was there and consisted of Jessica Prinner, Jeannie and Kristen Meshberg. On the 2nd lap, we dropped about 4-5 riders. Jessica Prinner went off the front sometime after the 2nd lap. No one went with her. She was amazing. Her other team mate Jeannie eventually went off a bit later in the 2nd lap, which left about 7 or 8 of us. By the end of 2nd lap, I was feeling a slight cramp in my right leg and once again I had NOT eaten anything. Just before the feed zone, my 3rd lap go, I lost the field on a steep climb. My leg cramped up too much and I slowed down a bit on the climb. Steve was there to give me a fresh water bottle and I raced onward as best I could.

I paced on/off moderately. Luckily the wind wasn't a big factor at all. About 5 miles to go I was by far pretty tired and slowing more. Towards the finish it was rewarding to finish the race. I was not at all disappointed. My goal is to get better on eating and hydrating during a road race. You'd think it would be so easy but for me I really need to practice this! I placed 8th.


Sunday: Criterium. (7th Place)


Race started at 4:45 p.m. small field, about 11 of us. Course was flat and some narrow sections. Race started. Kristen went out fast, which was good. I like that. That's of attacks where thrown out and nothing stuck. It was attack after attack. I waited and held back. I didn't want to burn to many matches. I knew I could bridge and chase pretty good. I through out one attack that wasn't very good. Didn't have the punch. I pretty much stayed conservative until about 2 laps to go. I had to make a deicison. For some reason, My team mate Dan Verner his words came into my thoughts. I had nothing to lose. I could take a flyer or maybe do 2 attacks (one after the other). Sure enough, the field was slowing. I thought "Oh no no no... I'm not going to let this come down to a slow and a field sprint. I wanted to try. So, I went for it after the bell rang. I hit it, I didnt look back, I kept going until after the 2nd corner. back side of course then someone yelled, "Just GO". So I thought why try and let out another attack and before I knew it someone else had picked it up and it was too late. Last corner and ABD was of course already sprinting and so I got out of saddle with what I had left to sprint. Finished 7th place.







To conclude, I finished 6th Place in the Omnium.


Thank you Triple X for a fantastic race. I was praying for a stage race like this in our area. I can't thank you enough for all your hard work and efforts on running and managing a great race. This race will develop even more into even bigger and better things to come I can feel it. Thank you also to the town of Galena. Galena is amazing. Warm and welcoming people. Lastly, I want to thank you the G.O.A.T.S bicycle club. They are are really fun and friendly group. Thank you Andreas for letting us stay at your place that is located on this "big bad climb". I will always remember the climb up to your place. It just cracked my legs a little more after the race..... I must admit, on Sunday, after my race,. I had nothing left so I had to walk my bike up that climb....!!!.


Please everyone... don't miss this race next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment