Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tour of Elk Grove

Saturday Woman's 3/4 Race

After taking some nice rest days, I was pretty excited about Elk Grove. I had done this race last year as cat4. Race started strong. However the 1st hairpin turn always slows everything down. For the most part, I stayed in the field. There were times I was outside because of riders I was trying to avoid. Not to many attacks. When I saw what this was coming down to, a sprint finish. Once again, I knew what I had to do. "I took a chance and attacked last lap. It surprised the field and took many off guard." I slowed a bit for turn 3. Some of the field caught up. I knew I wouldn't have much of a sprint. I think at about 300 meters, everyone was out of the saddle and someone crossed wheels. A huge crash in the back of me took place. It startled me. Through off my sprint a little but I managed to bring in 10th place. I'm very happy. Not disappointed at all how I raced. It's was so much fun.

Sunday, Women 1,2,3, My 1st race with the top dogs.
To sum up this race in a few words would be " lesson learned" lesson learned"!!! I decided that I'd like to see what it's like to race with the "Elite women". So I made this my 1st race. I lined up, and yes I was a little intimidated to see these "Pro Women." Kristen came up and I felt a little better. She is so cool, calm and just has this carefree smile. Race started. I was in the back of the pack. I thought I would hang out back there and then move up as the race went on. Ofcourse, that was not the case! Some riders couldn't keep up. I past them. I held in the back and then attacks came. Then I was playing chase. Then Cathy from P5 came to the back. We both got whipped away from the main field. We worked together and bridged up a few times. Every time we bridged up we couldn't get in the field to stay. It was frustrating. We learned a lot. After a while I was fading. I burned way to many matches. We paced for a while. At about 8 laps to go, they pulled us. Again, lesson learned. I cant wait to try again.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome report Kim.. I'm excited to see your progress :)

    ReplyDelete