Thursday, July 22, 2010

Superweek 2010 - Teamwork +Consistency + Commitment = Great Results.

First Off. A BIG congrats to my team mate Kristen Meshberg. She took 2nd Place overall in the Women's 1,2,3 Series!!!

After ToAD, I thought I'd only race a few superweek races. But that thought quickly changed after reading an email from my team mate Kirsten saying "here is my plan for Superweek. How much fun would it be to be the bike racing crazy moms." This meaning, we would help each other with childcare while we raced the series. Sounded like fun! We had no expectations going in. We took each race day one at a time. If things went well, we would race the next day and so fourth. Best part of all this was making it fun for the kids to.

I'm not going to go into every race. I will highlight a few.

My favorite Race: " Lake Geneva Criterium" 3rd Place.
I love Lake Geneva. I practically grew up there and have fond memories for the Lake. Great course. It had a slight climb and sweeping corners. Last lap, the field was tiring. I attacked hard and hit it all the way. Bringing 2 riders with me, I lost a little going down hill but sprinted to take 3rd Place.





The last 3 road races where great courses with beautiful roads and turns. I placed top 7 and higher. Whitnall Park was my favorite. It was located in a beautiful botanical garden. The course had sweeping corners and great climbs. Just enough to hurt and keep some sprinters tiring. I was still in the 1st place overall with 182 points.


Last race: Racine, WI.
I had raced this last year. Great course. We where the 1st race of the day. Threat of rain was soon to come. Sure enough, it started to down pour. High winds and thunder. "I got in a break of 6 riders, including me" Rain came down hard. I was scared and held back from taking pulls and keep safe from crashing. I had this feeling that some of the riders in the break would go down. I was right!.... 2 laps to go,..... one rider went off and skidded out on turn 3. Another rider in the break, skidded in he same place. I bridged up. I attacked up the incline, but Sarah from IS corp and the other 2 from Tibco where a bit to far ahead. I was able to pass 1 rider and came in 4th Place behind Tibco.

"Kim you are going to Win Superweek"
" Kim - You have just won Women 3/4 Superweek"

So, my team mated Kristen, God bless her! During my last 3 races, I was feeling pretty tired. So she emailed me the above statements. It made me giggle, but it didn't really click in. When our race ended, it was still storming. They podium the top 3 women for the race. Then I waited and waited ......and waited. I finally said to Sarah from IS corp, "They better podium overall! Sure enough, they presented me with the "yellow Jersey." I was by myself on the podium because it was storming pretty hard but I didn't care! I just shouted out a big cry and loved every minute of it.

Thank you's: First to my team mate Kristen Meshberg who, this series would not have been possible for me to do with out her help with childcare and support. 2ndly to my coach " Coach Madeleine". You are the best Madeleine!! Thank you. Talk later coach :) :) To the Flatlandia team, very proud to be on your team and be your team mate. Thank you to Tom and Kelly for letting us hang out at your lake house for the day in Lake Geneva. Thank you to Kristen's friend and family in Racine for hosting my son and I for the night. Lastly, thank you to all my friends for your words of encouragement and support.

Lastly, I want to share one moment I had with my son Shane at one of the races. At the Lake Geneva Race, as I was lined up on the start line. Shane peers out from the gate and says
" Mommy you gonna race?" Yes, I say. He says this 3 'x "Mommy are you gonna win?" I didn't respond. Then Shane says " Mommy's gonna WIN!!! All the women start laughing. After I podium, he gives me a hug and says " I love you mommy"

No comments:

Post a Comment