Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Gateway Cup Series.

GATEWAY CUP SERIES 2010 Cat 3/4 women series.

I was super excited about racing this series. However, on the other hand, I was feeling ready to end my road season sooner. I had accomplished all my goals, plus more. Hard racing since February, I was fighting a sore knee and ITB going into Gateway Cup and feeling tired. With all this said, I felt I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I wanted to see if I could push myself a bit further. Weather was going to be beautiful all weekend. So, my friend Mia Moore from Triple X and I made the trip down St. Louis, MO on Friday morning. We met up with Anne who was also going to be with us all weekend and racing the Pro1/2 races.

Lafayette Criterium Race: Fun, flat rectangle course. Wide open corners and roads. After driving 5 hrs, I was feeling a bit tired. About 28 women lined up. They started our race 15 seconds after the cat 4/5men. I was concerned about this. I wasn't sure how it was going to be played out. Sure enough, the men's field had to lap us. They slowed us down. Neutralized us till they passed. I wasn't liking that. It gave those "other riders" a chance to rest. I wanted those " other riders" to fall out or get tired. Last lap, it came down to a field sprint. I took wheel. I just didn't seem to go at the right time. Took 9th place out of 30 women.

St. Louis Hills - Frances Park Criterium: Another rectangle course but with a slight incline after the start/finish line. Open wide corners. Race started. Again they started our race 15 sec after the cat4/5 men. I stayed mid field then saw Mia Moore from Triple X slowly go off the front. I was thinking "I'm gonna chase her down" then I thought "No, lets see if someone else wants it." Sure enough, no one chased her. I couldn't believe it. I thought they would because it wasn't like she attacked hard and went off the front fast. So, I went up front and thought .. NO! Let her go!.. Mia deserves it. I held the field. I chased down a few attacks when needed. Last few laps, a big mix up of how many laps to go by the officials caused confusion on when to sprint. So, I decided to sprint twice. So, you saw our field sprint twice. Which was kind of funny. No one knew when the race was over. The officials decided on the 1st sprint. I placed 11th. After this race, they decided to race the woman's field separately for the next 2 races. Ya!!!



Giro Della Montanga: Now, this was my favorite race course. I felt like I was in little Italy. The crowd was fantastic. People sitting on there lawns, drinking wine and eating pasta. The climb wasn't a killer climb. Just enough to hurt a little. However, my right knee was still giving me problems. The magic tape did help. I was just praying to make it through. Race started. Mia was up front again pulling the field. I love her but she was making me tired just looking at her. Last lap of the race, Mia was in back of me. Pace picked up after start/finish line. Corner 1, I heard a crash. I took off with the top group. An attacked went off up the hill. I caught on. I was sitting 5 position in the downhill. I wish I could 've attacked harder up the hill and got away but it didn't happen. So it came down to a field sprint again Augg:( I placed 10th.

Benton Park Criterium: New course. It was a 10 corner course. All flat except a small climb after the start/finish line. This was a bit more technical. This course actually played out to our advantage because it really separated the field from those that where maybe just a little more experienced then others, in my opinion. Race started out pretty strong. About 10 of us in the lead group. Wind was strong. We pretty much stayed together. I knew what I had to do again in this kind of a course. Yup ... that's right ... I tried for a flier. Last lap, I came up from the outside. Tried to hit it up the hill, and my right leg was hurting. So, I backed off. But, it did help Mia out, I strung the field out a little, which helped her get into position. I slowed. Then sure enough everyone took off on the 2nd to last corner. I caught on a wheel. I just needed that " jump" So, I went after the last corner. Kicked it in for the sprint. I passed a few and came in 8th place.


Well, It was an awesome season. I have no regrets about racing Gateway Cup. It was so worth the trip. I was also happy I could help out Mia. Congratulations to her. She really shined out there. I'll be posting an end of the season blog. Have a few extra special things to add.

I also want to thank Marsha for Host housing us. Really enjoyed having her watch us at our races. Thank you Marsha!!! And Anne really raced fantastic in the pro women 1/2 races. As much fun as it was to race this series it was a blast watching all the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment