Sunday, May 2, 2010

Circuit of Sauk, Reedsburg, WI

So, I emailed Kristen Meshberg that I was going to race twice, cat4's and Open and asked her if she'd like to carpool with me?
Response: " Hey Kim ... can I talk ya into just doing the Women's' Open? "
My Response: "Sure, but gotta get in my extra 30 miles in after the race."
Kristen's response: "Wow that was easy."
Knowing that this was a training race, eased a little bit of nervousness. Last year I had gotten dropped in the open road races . This year, I was excited to know if I could hang in the field and finish top 10. Got to the start line. I saw some very strong riders there from the Kenda and IS Corp team and of course my team mate, Kristen Meshberg. I was very pumped up to be racing with her.

Race started, neutral roll out. "I looked ahead ... whoot whoot.. 1st hill.... and its a big climb! A 5 person break and I'm in it. I cant believe it! Another climb ... I'm still with the top dogs"

Everything is going smoothly and this Kenda women keeps attacking but no one goes for it. Too windy and too early to burn matches, I think. We turn right and a "HUGE" cross wind. Kenda women attacks. Smart move! I'm out of position. Cross wind takes me away. Almost fell off my bike. I try to bridge back up. Not going to happen. I see Kristen look back but I just couldnt max myself out any more. I'm happy she made the climbs. She is climbing great. Very proud of her.

So I ride by myself keeping a strong pace. I hope for someone to work with. A group of 3 come up and we all work together. I stayed with them until the finish. Not much of sprint for me.
10th Place finish out of 17 women. I learned what I would do differently out there. Kristen placed 5th. Great job Kristen.

Since it was a beautiful day we rode another 30 miles with smiles!



No Vernon Hills.. and no racing next weekend, but a lot of training.


No comments:

Post a Comment