Monday, May 2, 2011

2011 Tour De Gila, Silver City New Mexico. Stage Race.



"Sometimes the most challenging journeys are the ones that are the most rewarding"

Picture above: GILA MOUNTAINS.

Tuesday: The plan was to fly into El Paso, TX then drive to Silver City, NM and be there by 6:00 p.m. However, the rain kept pouring down at Midway, Chicago. A Southwest plane had skidding off the runway. It was our plane to take to Houston which connected and to take to El Paso, TX. Everything halted at Midway airport. Long story, short. I flew to Houston then to Austin then landed in El Paso, TX at 1:00 a.m. I was TIRED! I immediately went to the baggage claim area. NO BIKE, NO LUGGAGE = Staying over night in El Paso, TX.


Wednesday: Got luggage, bike and off to Silver City, NM. Approx. a 2.5 hr drive. The Pro races started Wed. I arrived at my host house at 1:30 (Stella and Norman Brown). They are originally from Michigan and have retired out in Silver City for many yrs now. They have a wonderful home located approx. 3 miles from the town, Silver City. There home is surround by beautiful mountains everywhere. Weather was 80 and sunny. Got my bike together and geared up. I found I had to take my bike to the "Gila Bike Shop" to get it all dialed in. Then it was off the Gila Mountian National Forest to ride some of the RR course.
















The Tour De Gila is a 5 day stage race for the Pros. A 4-day stage race for the Amreture races. I raced the 4-day stage races, Women's cat3/4.

STAGE 2:
Thursday: The Inner Loop Road Race Course 64 miles. Located: Gila National Forest

Results: Placed 17th out of 31 women
Got to the start line, nervous and tired from all the travel. Right before the race started, I could tell they weren't sure who I was. So, they asked. I said "I'm from Chicago" and they said " What are you doing here from Chicago?" I looked around and smiled with no response. They laughed.


Race started neutral for about 1st mile. First 10-15 miles where pretty tame. Almost like a warm up. As we got into some climbs, the field strung out. I stayed with the top 20 women. We hit the descents. Very steep curvy, windy descents with no guard rails, just open narrow road descents. I took a steady wheel and followed the women that where good descenders. Smiling all the way. We dropped a few others. I was pumped!! It started to get warmer. We hit some flat roads. Some attacks where attempted but nothing stuck. The front of peloton formed a rotating line. They asked if I would take pulls. I hesitant, then decided to take pulls. I realized about 45min of taking pulls that there where riders in the back hanging out, not doing anything. MORE climbs came. I looked down, I had not eaten anything at the 35 mile marker, nor had enough to drink. The feed zone was at the 15 miles to go. We hit more climbs ahead with slow upraising grades and open black top roads, Things heated up!! Climbing, we hit the feed zone. Steve handed me another bottle. I was feeling tired. I quickly drank as much electrolytes as I could. Then the 8 or so women that did nothing in the peloton came up to the front of the pack. Pace picked up. At about 10 miles to go, I lost it. I slowed. With more climbing ahead, I saw that I was going to get dropped on the climb. It was bittersweet. I kept drinking, hoping I would get this burst of energy. I lost the peloton and pushed on by myself for the next 5 miles. The last 3 miles, I was feeling better and hung with a group of 3 women to the finish.

What I learned: Always, always conserve energy!!! Eat, drink and don't take long pulls!








STAGE 3
Friday: 16 mile Tyrone Individual Time Trail (Race of Truth) 3 climbs. Weather: 50 mph wind gusts (Yikes!!!)

Results: 19th out of 31 women
Wind was gusting pretty good at about 45-50 mph. I was told to keep my knees in as I descent downward and keep tight and tucked. Got to the start. I kept my pace consistent and smooth. I used all my gears for it was windy and the climbs where a gradual increasing grade of 4% to 7%.. Wind blew so forcefully that it blew one women down. She crashed pretty hard and was taken away. I kept my focus on staying consistent and smooth which meant to keep shifting into different gears. On the back portion there was a strong cross wind. It meant leaning in and really keeping more in the middle of road so you wouldn't get blown into the gravel pits. I gradually picked up my cadence and hammered harder. The last 5miles where mostly downhill. I shifting into a big gear and pedaled hard all the way to the finish. No coasting for me! When I finished I though I did good based on what I felt was a very consistent and strong effort but I guess that wasn't the case. Have to improve my time trialing.


STAGE 4
Saturday: Downtown Silver City Criterium 12 laps.

Results: 4th Place out of 30 women
After the TT, I was feeling signs of a sore throat and cold coming on. Race started at 8:00 am. I pre-road the criterium course and did a few hot laps. I visualized myself taking that last lap to the win. I learned that from PWP. 75% of cycling in mental game. Its true and it showed in this race.




Race started. I stayed in the field hiding and staying tucked in. I didn't attack, pull or use too much efforts. I stayed with Tracy and Dana, who where the leaders in the GC. There was one attack after the prime. We let her sit out there a while, then Dana pulled her in. Last lap, I moved up to the front. I stayed with Dana and Tracey as I went up the hill, then shifting into my bigger gear and pushed hard downhill. Did not stop pedaling. 2nd to last corner, I hit it even harder in my bigger gear. It was still a downhill. Then last corner. I took it a bit wide and stayed on the outside and hid behind Dana and Tracey's wheel, spinning a bit more. I clicked into a bigger gear. It was a long way to the finish. I didn't want to go to soon. Then I went right when Dana went. Got out of the saddle, and punched it. Took 4th place missing 3rd by half a wheel maybe.

After the criterium, I spent some time in the afternoon pre-viewing the "Monster Road Race course. "It was basically the same road race course as Thursday but in the opposite direction. Lots of bigger, steeper, really long climbs. It was going to be a monster for sure!







STAGE 5
Sunday: Gila Monster Road Race. 72 miles. Started in downtown Silver City.
Results: 16th placed

Race started at 7:30 a.m. Very cold. Didn't know how to dress. I decided to wear full gloves and knee warmers. Race started. Neutral start for 3 miles. When in neutral a rider crashed in front. I ran over her wheel and fell. Bruising my right shin pretty bad. Bike was ok. Everyone stopped and awaited til we all got together again. For the most part, I stayed near the middle to back of the peloton. My cold/sinus was acting up. I was breathing a bit hard and having some doubts about pressing on. Then I told myself "never never never give up" and keep those legs moving. I stayed with the peloton and for the 1st 30 miles it was rollers and flats.

During these 30 miles, one of the women yells out " POTTY BREAK" All of us stop, get off our bikes and drop our shorts and get down on the side of the road to go potty. meanwhile the Support vehicles are having a thrill seeing 30 women with there shorts down, I'm sure. I decided to stripe off my knee warmers and drink up. We all get back on our bikes and start the race again. I have never had that happen in a RR before! ( Sorry guys, I dont have pictures of that)
There where 2 sprint bonuses. No breaks happened. About the 40 mile marker right before the feed zone. Some climbs started but not the big bad climbs yet. I took 1 water bottle from Steve. About a few miles after the feed zone, small climbs started. I was drinking and shifting my gears at the same time and I DROP MY CHAIN!!!. I quickly get off the bike because the chain was jammed pretty good in between. The sag truck guy got out to help me. Luckily, we got it back on quickly. I chased hard after the peloton. After 5mins. I was back with the peloton. My legs actually felt better after that 5min effort. I drank lots and lots, for the BIG BAD climbs where fast approaching. At the 45-50miles the BIG climbs started. Its was all up mountain switchbacks and STEEP grades from here on out. From the start, Dana and the top 8 women attacked up the mountains. I pushed hard, trying to stay with Dana but she just flew so much faster up that mountain. I kept my pace and cadence smooth and consistent that I knew I could sub stain and keep me in the game longer and not blow up. Sure enough my endurance paid off. I was climbing consistently and strong. The field was strung out. Everyone was on there own. 20mins into the climb, and I was almost there. Then more descents. Then more climbing of grades of 14%, 15% and switchbacks. Finally, I saw my mark (the red ribbon!!) It was my marker I saw that told me I had only 2 miles to go. It was a mountain climb to the finish, not steep but a slow upraising grade. It was the toughest finish I had ever done in my life. I pushed past 2 riders and placed 16th. Here is a short video of my finish to the Gila.





I am not at all disappointed in how I raced. I was thankful and happy that I took away so much valuable experience. I now know what the Gila mountains and what kind of training I have to do to compete in this kind of race for next yr.

As my coach Madeleine pointed out to me... When racing in the Gila mountains, I did something that most people don't get to do. I didn't affect world hunger or improve our crappy economy......I didn't save lives. But I was there because I am a well trained athlete and a person who has focused on bike racing to be healthy, happy, and have lots of fun! And I competed with other women on a fun (and tough) course somewhere warm... Thanks Madeleine!!


Thanks to Stella and Norman for everything. I enjoyed my stay with you. Also thanks to Steve for doing just about everything from bike maintenance to checking out the courses with me and making sure I got to each race site. Most of all, thanks to my family, friends and everyone who helped out watching my son Shane while I raced. It wouldn't have been possible without all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment